A professional learning opportunity for ALL aquatic education teachers in primary and secondary schools. This one-day workshop will focus on current evidence-based practice in aquatic education and will include FREE in-school support.
Are you up to speed?
Venue: NZ Marine Conference Room, 85 Westhaven Drive
Date: Wednesday, 29th September 2021
Time: 8.30am – 3.30pm
Cost: $50 + GST
(To contribute to costs including refreshments. This PLD is subsidised from various funding sources.
Developing our competence to teach aquatic education will be unpacked in 3 ways:
Exploring The Theory
- Drowning prevention education is based on development of 15 competencies
- Understanding the drowning problem
- What are we doing now?
- What could/should we be doing?
- Personal competencies for drowning prevention.
- Great activities for in the pool learning (yours and ours)
Open water environments (‘Dry’)
- Ideas for developing 15 water competencies in open water
- Safety management processes for teachers and students
In New Zealand, people of Māori and Pacific Islander ethnicity record higher drowning rates compared with the European population.