Events Drowning Prevention Auckland Support
Each year we support and attend several community events within Tāmaki Makaurau advocating for safe water practices.
Our objective is to engage with Aucklander’s and provide them with tools/ideas they can implement into their daily lives to keep themselves and others safe around water. We want to be present within the community and want to be actively engaging with members of the public.
By attending community events it provides the opportunity for us to engage with the “at-risk of drowning” ethnic groups being Pacific, Asian, Māori and NZ European along with Men (fishing/boating), Youth (risky behaviour, beaches) and parent/caregivers (Supervision). This engagement allows us to impart drowning prevention knowledge in a safe and non-confrontational way to them keep our communities safe in, on and around the water.
Our key messages:
- Auckland Navigation Safety Bylaw, compulsory wearing of lifejackets in boats under 6m.
- Active supervision – within sight and reach.
- 4Rs – ways to help others without putting one’s own life at risk.
- Layers of Protection: Your child, your pool, your responsibility
What we provide/activities:
- Water Safety Survey
- Free life size water safety board game for kids to play
- Free fake tattoos with water safety messages on them
- Free lifejacket loan for events that are based on the water