Adult drowning rates in New Zealand are increasing.
Research has found that this is likely for a number of reasons:
- Lack of water safety practice
- Entrenched unsafe attitudes toward open water participation
- Underestimation of risks in aquatic activity
- Overly optimistic perception of capacity to cope with that risk
(Stanley & Moran, 2021)
The adult water competency pilot programme was completed in June 2022 which showed some interesting results:
- Adults overestimated their water competence in controlled pool environment
- Although not tested in open water during the pilot, adults perceived open water competency was likely to be overestimated
- All participants water competency improved after education at the conclusion of the programme
(Stanley & Carmine, 2022)
Here’s what participants had to say about the programme:
Want to improve your water competency?
Take this opportunity to test yourself in the safety of the pool with instructors on hand to guide you. Can you do everything you think you can? Could you be safer in the water?
To improve your water competency, join a free session at one of the four venues that Drowning Prevention Auckland are facilitating with the support of Auckland Council. The session is one hour long, free of charge and is designed to help you discover your current level of water competency and give you tips on how to improve it.
To join this free initiative, contact one of the four sites below.
Takapuna Pool and Leisure Centre09 890 8465 | [email protected]
- 11:30am – 12:30pm Tuesday 25 July
- 11:30am – 12:30pm Wednesday 26 July
- 11:30am – 12:30pm Thursday 27 July
- 11:30am – 12:30pm Friday 28 July
Tepid Baths09 379 4745 | [email protected]
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Monday 24 July
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Wednesday 26 July
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Thursday 27 July
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Friday 28 July
Lloyd Elsmore Park Pool and Leisure Centre09 535 5502 | [email protected]
- 10:15am – 11:15am Monday 14 August
- 10:15am – 11:15am Tuesday 15 August
- 10:15am – 11:15am Wednesday16 August
- 10:15am – 11:15am Thursday 17 August
Albany Stadium Pool09 484 6205 | [email protected]
- 10:15am – 11.15am Monday 7 August
- 10:15am – 11.15am Wednesday 9 August
- 10:15am – 11.15am Friday 11 August
Highlights from our April activity including Wai Wise, a global drowning prevention event at Vector Wero Whitewater Park and the new one-day SPLASH holiday programme.Wai Wise ProgrammeOne of DPA’s flagship programmes, Wai Wise, ran for the first time with Auckland’s...
The recent Kāhui Ako Conference for the Massey Schools Cluster brought together educators of all levels, from early childhood to secondary school for a day of connection and learning. Held on the first day of term two, the event was a rare chance for teachers and...
Drowning Prevention Auckland partners with workplaces around Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland and further afield to offer their employees invaluable water safety training. Whether your organisation works directly or indirectly in a water-based environment, a Water Competency...