It is important children learn to open eyes underwater without googles. A practice to help this is ‘mirror activities’ in pairs, such as counting each other’s fingers.
- Swimming through hoops held underwater (held by one student each side of hoop)
- Dive from a horizontal position in the water and dive under to go through the hoop.
Teaching Tips and Class Management
- Begin with a straight line of hoops, then make it harder by off-setting them horizontally and vertically.
- Use any lines and other marks on the bottom of the pool for those holding the hoops to stand on.
- Further tasks include follow the leader in pairs and small groups underwater.