- Roll from back float to front float, and from front to back.
Horizontal to Vertical Rotation and vice versa (front or back to upright and return)
- Floating on back, lift head to a vertical float.
- Slowly rotate to four points of the compass, clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- Ask students to suggest why they may need to do this.
Floating – Orientation – Signalling for help
- Change from horizontal float to vertical float.
- Rotate vertically in all directions searching for an exit point or someone to help.
- Spot someone and signal for help.
Floating and Orientation Extension
Have class in two rows facing each other about 2-3m apart. Create a wave action using flutter boards (kick boards). Waves meet in the middle creating choppy, rough water.
Have the class experience all floating and orientation practices in simulated rough water.