This exercise helps students to learn about their own personal buoyancy. Some children will find out they are relatively good or relatively poor natural floaters.
Teaching Tips and Class Management
- Have students find their own space in the water.
- Tuck chin down to chest.
- Tuck knees, wrapping arms around legs.
- Tell students to let their body find its own floating position.
- Ask the students to observe and share whether their bodies are naturally inclined to float or sink.
- If the class are confident with feet off the bottom, all the class can do this together.